The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) announces newly named officers and the results for three elected positions to its Board of Directors for 2021. The new leadership brings extensive experience in patient-centric ambulatory care, which will help the organization’s clients continue to grow and strengthen ongoing quality improvement efforts. Supporting AAAHC’s 1095 Strong, quality every day philosophy, the Board advocates for patient safety, provides strategic guidance on program development and administration, and shares innovative ideas to ensure the continuous success of the organization.
The new Board members will assume their positions on November 15, 2020. Officers bring a range of expertise from both primary care and surgical settings:
- Timothy J. Peterson, MD, Board Chair is a primary care physician with more than 30 years in private practice. Dr. Peterson is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Medical School and completed his residency in family medicine at the University of Minnesota. He served at Thomas-Davis Medical Centers from 1987-1998 in Tucson, AZ, where he held various roles, ultimately serving as president and chief executive officer. Subsequently, he served as the medical director for Pima Health System from 1999- 2006, was vice president of medical affairs for Bridgeway Health Solutions from 2006-2007, and served as Medical Director of United Health Care Community Plan, overseeing the care for Arizona Long Term Care members. Dr. Peterson currently serves as a quality management and quality improvement consultant in the State of Arizona for the Division of Developmental Disabilities.
- Ira Cheifetz, DMD, Immediate Past Board Chair brings more than 30 years of experience in the practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery to the Board. He received his DMD degree from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine and completed his residency at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Dr. Cheifetz has contributed to the AAAHC governance for nine years and was instrumental in leading the design and transition to a more strategic AAAHC Board structure. He has conducted numerous surveys on behalf of AAAHC. Additionally, he served on the board of trustees of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) for eight years, serving as the president of the association from 2009-2010.
- Edwin Slade, DMD, JD, Board Chair-Elect has served in many capacities and leadership positions within AAAHC since 2003. Dr. Slade graduated from the University of Connecticut and received his dental degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. He was a resident in Dental Medicine and Surgery at the Medical College of Pennsylvania and completed his residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Connecticut/Hartford Hospital. Dr. Slade received his law degree cum laude from Temple University School of Law. Dr. Slade is Board Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the National Board of Dental Anesthesiology. In addition, Dr. Slade is a Fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) and the American and International College of Dentists. He has served in numerous leadership positions within oral and maxillofacial surgery including president of both the Pennsylvania and Delaware Valley Societies of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and as trustee and treasurer of AAOMS.
In addition to the elected Officers, David Shapiro, MD will serve his second year of his two-year term as AAAHC Secretary/Treasurer.
- David Shapiro, MD, Secretary/Treasurer is an anesthesiologist who has had extensive experience serving as a department chair, medical director, and board member of several ambulatory surgery centers. Dr. Shapiro currently serves on the Boards of both the Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA) and the Florida Society of Ambulatory Surgery Centers (FSASC). He is also a Board member of the Ambulatory Surgery Center Quality Collaboration (ASC QC), which develops, measures, and publicly reports national ASC quality data. Further, he serves on the Board of the Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI), and he participates as a member of their Health Guidelines Review Committee (HGRC). Dr. Shapiro is a member of the Florida State Consumer Health information and Policy Advisory Council (SCHIP). He is credentialed as Certified Administrator Surgery Center (CASC), a Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM), is licensed in Healthcare Risk Management (LHRM) by the State of Florida, and is certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) as well as certified in Healthcare Quality Management (CHCQM).
“Every member of the Board shares a common goal of strengthening patient safety and quality improvement in ambulatory organizations through accreditation,” said Peterson. “During our tenure, we will dedicate our efforts to demonstrating the value of accreditation and its direct impact on patient safety and quality improvement throughout the 1,095 days of the accreditation term.”
The three elected Directors, who also will assume their positions on November 15, further enable AAAHC to focus on engagement and growth opportunities across an array of medical specialties:
- Karen W. Connolly, RN is a licensed health care professional with more than 40 years of organizational leadership in diverse health care settings that have included hospital administration, a statewide QIO (formerly PROs), delivery systems, as well as extensive health plan experience in compliance, regulatory affairs, population health, risk management, quality improvement, and metrics. For nearly 23 years, Ms. Connolly has been an active surveyor in almost all areas AAAHC accredits and has also served on multiple committee and workgroup memberships.
- Joy Himmel, PsyD, LCPC, NCC, RN, FACHA, elected for a second three-year term on the Board, holds a PsyD in psychology, MA in mental health counseling, and BSN in nursing. She is a licensed professional counselor, certified through the National Board for Certified Counselors as a national board-certified counselor. Dr. Himmel has been a AAAHC surveyor since 2009 and participates as part of the faculty for AAAHC’s flagship education program, Achieving Accreditation.
- Mark Mandell-Brown, MD is a board-certified facial plastic surgeon and body cosmetic surgeon. Dr. Mandell-Brown is one of only 100 doctors in the country with triple board certification in facial plastic surgery, body cosmetic surgery, and head and neck surgery. In 2020, Dr. Mandell-Brown was elected president of the American Academy of Cosmetic Sugery, the world’s largest physician organization with a speciality in cosmetic surgery. He has been an active AAAHC surveyor since 2004.
“Our elected board members are an integral part of our organization’s governance, and each brings extensive leadership experience thanks to years of independent practice and surveying,” said Noel Adachi, MBA, president and CEO of AAAHC. “Every Board member is committed to keeping the 1095 Strong philosophy top of mind. We appreciate their dedication to finding new, innovative ways to lead health care organizations in providing high quality care for accreditation.”