With the right ingredients, healthy, plant forward meals (those with vegetables-as-center-of-the-plate, with smaller portions of meat) can be colorful, creative, delicious, and packed with nutrients.
Aramark, the largest U.S.-based food services provider, and the American Heart Association (AHA), the nation’s largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke, are working together to improve the health of Americans 20 percent by 2020, through healthy menu and recipe innovation and health awareness and education programs.
Currently, as part of its Healthy for Life 20 By 20 commitment with the AHA, 30 percent of the main dishes Aramark serves across its dining operations in health care, higher education and business dining are vegan or vegetarian. Aramark has also partnered with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) to conduct plant-based culinary trainings for its chefs, to enable them to create innovative recipes that center on foods including vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts.
Because more and more people are enriching their diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, beans, lentils and seeds, Aramark collected some plant forward recipes from its network of more than 1,000+ chefs, who are responsible for serving nearly two billion meals each year, and the AHA leveraged its national network of experts, to create a plant forward menu everyone can enjoy.
TANGY KALE SLAW
(Serves 6 as a side dish)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves, washed, tough stems removed, sliced 1/8”
- 1/2 cup fresh red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions (scallions), trimmed and sliced 1/8” (white and green)
- Combine vinegar, mayonnaise, honey, cilantro, sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Cover. Keep chilled for service or use as directed in recipe.
For more plant forward tips and recipes, visit www.fyp365.com or join the conversation on Instagram.
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.