Mayo Clinic in Rochester again has been ranked the nation’s best hospital in U.S. News & World Report’s 2019–2020 “Best Hospitals” rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester has been at or near the top of U.S. hospitals throughout the history of U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” rankings. In addition to its No. 1 overall ranking, Mayo Clinic in Rochester has more No. 1 rankings in medical specialty areas than any other U.S. medical center.
The 30th annual “Best Hospitals” rankings were published on the U.S. News & World Report website on Tuesday, July 30.
Other highlights from the “Best Hospitals” rankings include:
- Mayo Clinic in Arizona is ranked and tied for 18th on the “Best Hospitals Honor Roll,” of top 20 hospitals in the nation.
- Mayo Clinic in Florida, is No. 1 in Jacksonville, Florida, and No. 3 in Florida.
- Mayo Clinic is the No. 1 hospital in Arizona and the Phoenix metro area, and in Minnesota.
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, ranks nationally as “high-performing” in Gastroenterology and Gastroenterolgic Surgery, and ranks No. 4 among all Wisconsin hospitals.
- The hospital at Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire is recognized in Northwest Wisconsin as a “Best Regional Hospital,” which means that it offers a full range of services rather than specialty care.
- Mayo Clinic Health System — Franciscan Healthcare in La Crosse, Wisconsin, is recognized as a “Best Regional Hospital” in Southwest Wisconsin.
“Being recognized as the No. 1 health care provider in the nation is a tribute to the incredible work of our staff because it recognizes both our medical expertise as well as our commitment to compassionate, individualized care,” says Gianrico Farrugia, M.D., president and CEO, Mayo Clinic. “Each day, we strive to bring hope and healing to our patients.”
Watch: Dr. Gianrico Farrugia discusses the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings.
The U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals Honor Roll,” rankings feature the 20 U.S. hospitals with the highest overall scores in 16 medical and surgical specialties, and nine common procedures and conditions. Hospitals are measured on factors that include survival, experience, nurse staffing, patient services and reputation with other specialists.
Mayo Clinic is ranked No. 1 in five specialty areas:
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Gastroenterology and Gastroenterologic Surgery
Mayo Clinic in Rochester is ranked No. 2 in six specialty areas: Cardiology and Heart Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Pulmonology and Lung Surgery. The hospital ranks No. 3 in Cancer.
Mayo Clinic, which began as a single physician medical practice on the Minnesota prairie in 1864 and for decades has been a global destination for hope and healing, consistently rates among the top U.S. medical centers in independent rankings. More than 65,000 Mayo Clinic staff members work to deliver the highest standards of care and transform scientific discoveries into critical advances for patients. And more than 1.2 million people from all 50 states and more than 130 countries come to Mayo Clinic each year for expert, compassionate care.
“This ranking is an honor, and reflects the dedication of our staff and the quality of care at Mayo Clinic,” says Henry Ting, M.D., chief value officer, Mayo Clinic. “When people come to Mayo Clinic, they receive what Mayo has long been known for: highly integrated, expert, compassionate care for the most serious and complex conditions.”
“The consistency of being top ranked nationwide more often than any other hospital is truly a reflection of the thousands of staff who share the same vision of providing the best care for our patients,” says Dr. Farrugia.
U.S. News & World Report analyzed data collected from nearly 5,000 medical centers and survey responses from more than 30,000 physicians to compile its annual “Best Hospitals” rankings.