Cleveland Clinic released its list of Top 10 Medical Innovations that will have a major impact on improving patient care within the next year. The list is made up of devices, including a handheld optical scan for melanoma; drugs; diagnostic tests, such as 3D mammography; and a government program that financially rewards patients for improving their health.
The list of breakthrough devices and therapies was selected by a panel of Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists and announced last week during Cleveland Clinic’s 2012 Medical Innovation Summit.
The Top 10 Medical Innovations for 2013 are:
1. Bariatric Surgery for Control of Diabetes
2. Neuromodulation Device for
Cluster and Migraine Headaches
3. Mass Spectrometry for Bacterial Identification
4. Drugs for Advanced Prostate Cancer
5. Hand-held Optical Scan for Melanoma
6. Femtosecond Laser Cataract Surgery
7. Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion
8. Modular Devices for Treating Complex Aneurysms
9. Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (DBT)
10. Health Insurance / Medicare Program / Rewards for Better Health
For more information about this year’s Medical Innovation Summit and the conference agenda, visit http://www.clevelandclinic.org/INNOVATIONS/SUMMIT/.